Sunday, March 20, 2011

Melissa Etheridge CMW Keynote


I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the "celebrity interview" with Melissa Etheridge at the Royal York last Saturday afternoon. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from this, like would she be a good interviewee? Could they keep it interesting for a whole hour? The answer is yes, and yes!

I would say interviewer Ralph Simon had a good chemistry going with Ms. Etheridge and it was very entertaining! Melissa was honest and funny and had a lot of stories to share. I was just soaking it all in. I mean, all I could really do was listen as I couldn't see anything from where I was seated! I just kept my eyes on the big screens at the front.

One of my favorite moments was when the floor was opened up to questions from the audience. Canadian singer-songwriter Serena Ryder pulled a little prank on her. Serena had just wrapped up a 3 week Canadian tour with Melissa that ended the night before at Massey Hall and Melissa had spoken very highly of her earlier in the interview. Anyhow, Serena stands up to ask a question that went something like this, "My name’s Serena. I was just wondering what the inspiration for Black Velvet was?" Everyone cracked up! As I'm sure we all know, Alannah Myles is the one who sang Black Velvet.

Melissa responded with "Sister, I didn't know you were here!" She was just chillin' in the audience like the rest of us. I met Serena once, she's a pretty cool chick. We bonded over having the same name! haha

Another thing I really liked was that Melissa had some great things to say about the Canadian music industry. She loves how Canada supports its artists and she's pretty envious of that. She went on to say that they are like our national treasures, and she's right, they are.

(Photo from cmw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment