Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sammy Hagar CMW Keynote

Last Saturday afternoon during Canadian Music Week, I had an awesome couple hours of being able to listen to some music legends speak at the Fairmont Royal York. After an hour plus of Melissa Etheridge (see my post below) it was Sammy Hagar's turn. The Red Rocker.

The first thing I noticed about him was how friendly he comes across. I guess I was a little surprised, but at the same time I had heard only good things about him from people I know who have met him. Just like Melissa, Sammy was very open, honest and funny. It was a fantastic interview.


Things I took away from this interview:

1) He made me want to go and listen to some Van Halen

2) Talked so highly about his Cabo Wabo Tequila that I actually wanted to try it. (As if that's gonna happen though! haha)


3) I decided that I'm gonna go to "Sammy's Beach Bar & Grill" in the Las Vegas airport next time I'm there. All profit made is donated to a local charity. He has other locations across the country.


4) I learned that "Chickenfoot IV" is in the works with his fellow band members, Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, solo guitarist Joe Satriani, and Red Hot Chili Peppers’ drummer Chad Smith. They are currently shopping around for a record deal.


5) "Chickenfoot IV" came about after they decided that they were just going to skip over numbers 2 and 3 as those numbers just weren't working for them. 4 just seemed to stick!


6) Interviewer Tommy Nast asked Hagar who the best lead guitarist he ever played with was. His answer? Joe Satriani. No hesitation there.

7) I should buy his book. "Red: My Uncensored Life In Rock". You should too.

(photo from cmw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment